Skip to main content



The School Year in New Zealand begins in late January. There are four terms in an academic year.  National examinations are held from mid-November to early December.
School Year 2016

International students are accepted in January with a small number enrolling in Term 2 (May)  and Term 3 (July). Students studying for credits in NCEA Levels 2 and 3 (Year 12 and 13) should attend for the full academic year.

When you apply for a place at Wellington Girls’ College we have to consider:

  • Is there a place at the level you are applying for?
  • Is your academic record good enough for you to study at this level?
  • Have you chosen subjects that we can offer you at this level?
  • Have you chosen subjects that will help you achieve your future academic goals?
  • Is your level of English good enough for you to study these subjects at this level?

If you are offered a place, the HOD (Head of Department) English Language will assess your language level and perhaps some other subjects when you arrive at school.   The HOD English language will then decide what level you can study at in each subject and how much extra English help you will need.

PLACEMENTS: You will be placed in a Form Class according to your age.

SUBJECTS: You will be placed in subject classes taking into account:

  • the level you reached in your previous school
  • how well you can cope in English at this time.          

YEAR 13: Applications for direct entry to Year 13 are not usually accepted except for students with a high fluency in English.  A course of at least two years is recommended for students wishing to qualify to enter university (18 months for students from Germany).


If you need any more information before you decide to apply to Wellington Girls' College, please contact the Director of International Students (by email, fax or phone).

Fill in the Application for Admission,
the Contract with Wellington Girls’ College (2 pages)
and either the Homestay Application or Designated Caregiver Form.

Send all three documents to the College along with a copy of your most recent school reports and examination results and a written testimonial (usually from a teacher) as to your character.

  • The Principal and Director of International Students will assess your application.

If your application is successful you will receive a Provisional Offer of Place and an Invoice.

  • In most cases you must pay the school fees before coming to New Zealand to get your Student Visa. You will receive an invoice from the College and you can pay your fees EITHER by Bank Draft OR by telegraphic transfer to the Wellington Girls' College bank account at:
    Westpac Bank, Molesworth Street Branch
    03 0518 0027013 02
    SWIFT number : WPAC NZ2W 

If you send a telegraphic transfer you must email the College with details.

  • The College will then send you a Certificate of Payment and an Offer of a Place.
  • Take your Offer of Place and Certificate of Payment along with your Student Visa Application to the nearest New Zealand Immigration Office who will issue you with a Student Visa.

Applying for Homestay:
If you are applying for Homestay, the fees invoice will include the Homestay placement fee and a year's homestay fees in advance, along with your tuition and other fees required. The Homestay fee is held in trust and paid fortnightly to the Homestay family by the College.

International Students must have a current Student Visa or student permit to attend high school in New  Zealand for a course of 3 months or more.

Full details of visa and permit requirements and advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at